discovered that someone else has decided to 'jump ship' from our congregation...
I love it!!
Someone else who ‘gets it’ about church and their gone. Had enough of the dish we were serving up and found something better somewhere else! Gorgeous! I love it! Why does this just keep happening – people who could make appositive contribution to the future and current function of our church are just deciding to leave.
Find a different church.
I can’t think of something more selfish!
And what about the church and it’s leadership – can they not see that these people have given the church an honest shot (sort of) and still want keep their heads firmly planted in their nether regions.
We have told the world that it’s hope is in the local church and then we behave like this!
It makes me want to throw a noose around my neck and yank.
I spend 12 years coaxing, cajoling, coddling, chastising, and yes sometimes even lying to students about the importance of belong to the local body. And then WHAMMO in one fell swoop I look like a liar. But do we care about what kind of church is left for our children to pick up when we are gone. Oh wait let me see it goes something like this:
1. Find a church you like and go there
Till another one looks more interesting
2. Make sure you go to a church where you can get fed
Right so that what? You get more knowledge to get what? Hmmm
Anybody heard of service or servanthood?
3. Don’t get too attached to the people who you spend a few years with in the church cause that will only make it hard to leave when something ‘cooler’ comes along.
Yeah that’s right and it also means you don’t really need to be accountable to anyone either.
4. What ever you do don’t become members or in any other way tie yourself to the function of the church
This only leads to awkward visits from the pastor – and letter yeah letters…
5. Oh yeah find a church that has enough things wrong with it that you’ll have a good excuse to leave when you need to.
6. And another thing sacrifice and church do not go together.
And basically the role of leadership in any given church is to facilitate this as much as possible. By being rigid and redundant; ignorant and self absorbed!
And look leadership - if I’m to blame – Fire Me! Now! Please!
Otherwise lead – for God’s sake lead.