Tuesday, January 16, 2007

thank-you

Several years ago on my birthday, my wife surprised me with a Washburn. It quickly became a treasured part of my life. It was a guitar that had circulated through several hands. At first it was Gil’s and the first few concerts we did with More Than a Song were the Washburn’s privilege. Later, Gil sold the guitar to Gayle who wanted to improve her guitar skills. Then it came to me.
When I was a child my father taught me a few simple chords and I used those chords to lead the youth group in which I grew up. Around camp fires my brother and I would play and sing the familiar choruses that drew our youth group into fellowship with God and each other. My brothers very quickly far exceeded my skill on the guitar and a number of other instruments.
For years I was satisfied to use the four or five chords and a capo to plunk my way through most common choruses. When Char gave me the guitar as a gift—I resolved to learn to play it better. I have come to really enjoy the guitar (piano was my first instrument) and leading youth in musical expression of spiritual realities.
Last summer, my guitar suffered irreparable damage due in part to my negligence and an unfortunate accident. Music has become a central part of the youth ministry program so this was a big loss for me both personally and professionally.
In October, I was overwhelmed by an incredibly generous gift that many people put together to help me purchase a new guitar. I now own a Simon and Patrick that tickles and soothes me whenever I play it. As a way to say thank-you I humbly offer a song I wrote for this purpose. Thank-you for the blessing of this instrument. I trust this song blesses you...

This song is really incomplete. I have a mind to rewrite some of the lyrics so that the song focuses more on the profound beauty of a simple faith. I think it needs a bridge or two or something. I inserted the song Faithful One as a bit of a diversion. Faithful One was the song that Char and I sang and played at our candidating weekend almost 14 years ago. It would be fun to see where some of you musical geniuses would take this little ballady thing. (My apologies for how pitchy it is). (By the way if you’re curious: I am cheating with a cut-capo at the fourth fret and a full capo on the second fret)


Many years ago a man taught me to play
Until my fingers ached
And learned the songs hidden in his heart
...songs about Jesus…

And round the firelight, I made the flat top sing
I’d teach my friends the tunes
And we all believed He was coming back soon
As we sang…
...songs about Jesus…

This simple song, I made a gratitude
For what the maker has let fingers play
Wood and steel and words have helped you raise your voice
In song…
...songs about Jesus…

4 comments:

Gil said...

Well done Dale. Too bad the old Washburn had to miss this.

Anonymous said...

That Simon and Patrick is fortunate to be in the hands of one who can make music like you do!

Paul said...

well done...

Balmy Eva said...

delicious.