Tuesday, December 19, 2006

video game violence and children...

A friend of mine, sent me this article on the effects of video game violence and I have to admit that my initial reaction was unfettered scepticism. The article (read it here) is essentially an interview with Gerard Jones the author of Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence. I think that Jones makes some very interesting statements not just about why children need make believe violence but about how new cultural phenomenon are perceived in public. Quotes:
“A lot of people are just sort of primed to see each new mass cultural phenomenon as a threat. Any time it’s new, there will be a period of people asking, "What is this doing to us’ Is this the end of the world’" As it becomes part of the landscape, people build up an intuitive sense that real life goes on as it was going to; it isn’t changing much. Then the alarmists cease to have the same effect.”
Basically, I guess Jones’ argument looks at the progressive acceptance of cultural phenomenon which are initially generally held suspect.
There was a day when elders from our church patrolled outside the movie theatre to ‘catch’ anyone who might even darken the door of such a disreputable establishment. Today, Christians will flock to see the Nativity in these same theatres.
We’ve seen a lot of research that points to how video game violence, first-person-shooter games, and sexual representation affect children toward mimicking behavior. My oldest son rented NFL Street last week and on Monday I rented crutches for my second oldest son after a game of football where my oldest son tackled him. I see a connection between the two especially because my oldest son does not generally have a strong interest in football. I think it is silly for us to think that what we ‘consume’ will not affect us – which we can somehow stay completely detached to what we see.
But we are no more attached to negative or evil influences than we are to positive ones (or seemingly so). It’s weird how this works. If we hear a ‘worship’ song that tells us that God solves all our problems – we don’t make too much of it. On the other hand if we hear the f-bomb in a song we get all sorts of bothered. We think well at least the first one is a ‘worship’ song it can’t actually be that bad. But the other song is by some woman in a skimpy dress so there can be nothing in that song that holds any truth. And sure lets admit that if we keep listening to songs with the f-word in them we will be affected by that one way or another. But I listened to a testimony recently that claimed that he had come to realize how God want to solve all the problems in his life – if he would just give them to him. Where did he get that theological perspective? Hmmm.
ACDC used to be the messengers of the Devil (Hells Bells) KISS were known as Kids In Satan’s Service. Back-masking was the big deal. These bands were on the sidelines (fringes) of society (certainly in Christian circles). But today there songs are thought of with a strange fondness. You know: “These are the songs that we were banned from listening to when we were kids.”
So I am left with some questions: Should some things always and forever stay wrong? Will we eventually accept everything as acceptable behavior? Is it healthy for us to constantly be ring the alarm bell over every new cultural phenomenon? How do we help youth make wise decisions about what they consume?

3 comments:

Sterling said...

The thing that I too found interesting about the article was the progression (or regression) in acceptance of new cultural phenomena. What struck me further was the marginalization of the nay-sayers until what they say (and believe) is ignored. How does this inform us about how we witness to the world? How do we keep our message relevant? I continually scratch my head over that one. As for how media and culture influence us, that is a long and protracted discourse. My kids play NFL Street quite regularly and haven’t put each other in the hospital yet but there are definitely some things that my boys are not allowed to watch or play too. I haven’t got all the angles on that one either. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m chasing my tail or my tail is chasing me!!

ps. Calling me your friend makes me feel warm and fuzzy (or am I just sleepy).

SP

Increasing... said...

well sleepy
Its blindness for us to accept every new cultural phenom with out critical evaluation. Unfortunately, much of the evangelical/conservative right-wing (or left wing) uses these phenom. for fear mongering which is intended essentially to have people reject an engagement with the phenom. In the case of many evangelical positions this has lead to the next inevitable step which is isolation.
It's too bad when Christians have lost their ability to be the salt of the earth becuase they refused to engage with the culture around them. Its almost like we are scared that our culture is somehow bigger and more powerful than God.
In the mean time we create these isolated pseudo cultures which promote ludicrous notions of who God actually is...

Sterling said...

We're on the same page, brother!