Monday, October 23, 2006

i wish I would have thought of this then...

Years ago when I was a part of the now infamous More Than a Song Band, we played a tune that Martin Smith wrote called, Find Me In The River. I also remember that at one point we sang the song in some context on a Sunday morning (probably and offertory or special music). Well, I remember being challenged as to the suitability of that song in the context of congregational singing. The challenge focused on the theological accuracy of the lyrics and the usefulness of said song in the congregational ‘worship’. I think at the time questions were raised about the often obscure lyrics of the then burgeoning group Jars of Clay. At the time I was flustered by the challenge and I think that cowered to a much more succinct and definitive perspective on the topic. Today, I would respond differently.

I would say:

Music speaks on so many levels. So often Christians focus on the lyrical content of the song and quite frankly they often redact the words of songs in much the same way we ‘expound’ the mysteries of the Biblical narrative. Its really a process that music was never intended to be filtered through. Music was not meant to be reduced to its theological treatise and doctrinal teaching potential.

When we look at the words that so much contemporary music employs we instantly become aware of two distinctly different dynamics in which music connects with the individual. The first what the words are actually saying. And the second is the imagery that the words are intended to evoke. Sometimes these are very similar concepts but I would suggest that in some of the most well crafted songs the nuanced meaning that arises from the marriage of these two perspectives is exquisite.

Take for instance a song we did no Sunday morning (that’s right folks I lead worship on a Sunday morning our church): The song: Your Love Is Extravagant by Casting Crowns.

Consider this line: “Spread wide in the arms of Christ is the love that covers sin” What does a line like that mean? Or this line: “Your fragrance is intoxicating in the secret place”? What these lines are doing is conjuring up an image that is more profound than the words themselves can elicit if analyzed by themselves. The first line suggests the image of Christ’s outstretched hands as also being a type of embrace. And who knows what we think of when we sing that other line.

I guess the gist of it is that I think we have totally eviscerated spiritual music. Because of our propensity to analyze and reduce everything to its theological veracity we have missed out on the power that music can be helping us develop awe and real reverence for God. It sure doesn’t help that we have deified music itself in our expression of church life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dale I appreciated your perspective on this issue...it challenged me on my thinking a bit. My biggest peave is with poorly written songs, songs which are humiliating to call "art" in our churches. I see what you're saying about over analyzing. But what we sing becomes our theology, and my experience has been that people aren't willing enough to discuss the theology of our worship. I wonder if the analysis (in this case) was due to a personal conviction that someone wanted to "analyze-away" rather than face. I encountered a similar criticism in my intership over a Matt Redman tune (actually, it was "More Than a Song"...interestingly enough).

Jenivere

Anonymous said...

I'm not interested in advocating crap theology in our congregational singing. I recognize that when we allow poor theology to seep into our consciousness through whatever vehicle we are in dangerous territory. But I guess my comments come out of an assumption that singing as songs together as a congregation is may not be the best way to use music in a spiritual context. I think the power of music is that it can elicit distinctly differnt points of view and emotions from different people. Because we have enshrined music as central to the gathered experience of the church we put paramount importance on agreement of what we sing. That is where the difficulty lies.
I'm not saying that congregational singing can never be beneficial instead I am saying that it should not be the main way that music is used spiritually.
We should still challenge and question the theological perspectives of everything we hear. So why is it then that when we sing the line: "And dark is his path on the wings of the storm" we hardly bat an eye. Basically my suggestion is that it's becuase we have come to the place wherehave become complicit in unquestioningly embracing meaning (of this hymn) by pure force of its contextual form.

Anonymous said...

Dale you big heretic you....how could you say that all hymns weren't dropped directly from heaven with the Ten Commandments?
Alright, enough silliness...maybe later we'll get back to that.
I don't think you and Jenivere are in disagreement. We seem to have stripped the mystery out of song.
"we put paramount importance on agreement of what we sing."
I couldn't agree more. It is when we put more emphasis on agreement than art, mystery and truth that we sink to the lowest common denominator. I'd be interested to know more about what you think regarding the use of music in the service outside of corporate singing. I've actually had some success this year at Prairie with getting people to listen and pray while songs are sung.

anyway, appreciate your contribution to the dialogue.
peace
Jesse

Increasing... said...

no yeah (do you like that)
absolutely did not feel like i was in disagreemtn with jen just realized that my post may have left a few gaps in the theology department. so if the tone was wrong - sorry...
I will put up a post on the music as art thing...