Thursday, June 15, 2006

Welcome to my experiment!

Recently, I have been challenged to address a very undisciplined part of my life. Food and how I consume it. Of course my wife will tell you that there are countless areas that I need to make adjustments in. However, the big revelation for me is that I find myself eating food out of habit – almost subconsciously. So out of sense of loss of control and a personal slap up side the head I realize that I need to discipline myself. I want to get to the place where I intentionally, with full awareness choose what enters my body. This means that to start with WHAT I eat probably will not change much – I suspect. My first goal is to change WHEN I eat. My biggest problem is eating at night just before bed. Apparently it is bad for a person to eat at that time of day but that really is less of a concern than how I find myself rooting around the fridge at night in search of something that can top up my tummy.
So here is step one: No eating after 7:00 pm. This will be a temporary moratorium on eating in the evening. I understand that it take btwn 14-21 days to break/create a habit so I will update you all on my progress after that. The moratorium will last all summer.

I figure if this guy can do this, I can exercise this tiny amount of discipline.
Understand my goals are almost exclusively for personal discipline. If any other advantages occur – weight loss, more romantic evenings, more concern for world hunger – I will be grateful. But they will be secondary.
As most of you know – I am overweight – and most of you will also know that I have tried to address my overweightedness several times with apparent failure. So let’s be clear. I am not trying to lose weight!
For those of you around here feel free to ask me how it’s going. Also if you want to enter this journey with me feel free to let me know how you are taking control back of your eating.

7 comments:

Increasing... said...

Way to go honey. I'll try to stay out of it and let others keep you accountable. Nothing worse than your wife nagging you like moms do to their kids, right?

Jan said...

Good on ya Dale, just a thought: If you eat several (5 or 6) small meals a day instead of the big three its suppose to curb those cravings. The key is not to eat too much at the main three meals especially supper.

Not eating after 7:00pm will help you kick some weight in a big way. Eating a big meal and then going to sleep is never a good idea because you metabolism slows down while you sleep.

Trevor said...

I don't know how you will survive! I have the same habit. I usually eat a large meal before bed (around midnight). My wife has been telling me that I don't need that meal...I have a hard time believing her. She is probably right though, since I have done it a few times and was OK. I have been considering doing the same thing as you though, since I have been feeling a little more sluggish and out of shape lately. So, without much thought, I will join you in the experiment. Monkey Chow, Out.

officehourthoughts said...

Hey good luck. I always say I'm going to workout/not eat after 7/walk/stop eating 50 jelly beans a day but it never works. I'm really cheering you on. Maybe you can be the inspiration that I so desperatly need! Oh and the best line in the video was "I'll be living on easy street... if I'm living at all."
Good luck

Anonymous said...

hey...how about cutting out caffeine! (sorry i guess that's like using the "f" bomb!!

Increasing... said...

oh my sorry little annonymous blasphemer. Run far away with your cowardly can't-reveal-my-true-identity-swear-words. No soup for you!

Proffreezer said...

Just be glad you don't live here cause we are two hours earlier.