Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Round up


Looks like in my absence (from my abode) the world has continued spinning…
Under the category of:
…the more things change the more they stay the same… I understand that our collective litigiousness is not waning. Apparently a little girl find a cup has her friend roll up the rim and runs home to show her folks. Of course, the parents of the girl who so kindly helped the younger child want a piece of the pie but now so does the guy who originally flapped his lips across the paper cup and then discarded it – at his own folly…
Moral of the story: does it really pay to drink and drive?

...in a related story apparently there is some spurious new research that would claim to put coffee into the shadows of suspicion. It claims that your genetics might affect how receptive your heart might be to withstand the jolt of caffeine brought on by caffeine. Personally, I would suggest from my purely unscientific approach that the addition of cream and sugar may well account for any ‘problems’ coffee might have on the heart. It’s curious isn’t it that tea has well escaped the target of assault. Prissy tea drinkers guzzling gallons down their
EEZO FAGUSSES… (little mention of the fact that per volume most tea holds almost twice as much caffeine as coffee…)
I don’t care. To be honest I was a little uncomfortable with the notion that coffee might enjoy healthy status. It’s re-entry into the ‘vice’ category is both familiar and welcome for me.

and speaking of beverages…
apparently these types of 'miracles' still do happen…
according to this story perhaps beverages can still transmogrify despite current dispensational propositions – okay so maybe it was just stupid plumbing but hey. I gotta wonder what I woulda been thinking when the golden stuff came outta my taps.
Truth is, like this reporter suggests, I might like to get to know this plumber and introduce him to some of those people who might be convinces by the 'morphing in thier taps that the apocalypse was near…
Nasty by fun...



One more thing…
I just signed up my kids for soccer here in Coaldale. Here’s what happened. They made me write a check for June 30 (the end of the soccer season) in the amount of $20.00. Here’s how it was presented. I pay $20.00 to register for the opportunity to volunteer (as a coach). If in the end I do not volunteer the association will deposit my check and I can consider the money as an additional fee for the registration of my children. If however I do volunteer I get my money back. Now its only $20.00 so suck it up and pay the dough – Right?
Fine but…
What this does is turn me into a paid coach. How? No doubt there will be parents of children on the team I will coach who will have just paid the 20 and decided not to volunteer. I am sure that their expectations now will be higher (if only marginally) because they have paid for a service that they felt they did not have time to invest in. so what does this do to the dynamics of off-field parental antics? Make them better? Less antagonistically competitive? I doubt it! Essentially we have professionalized the volunteers in the program. Again maybe it’s insignificant but to me it is another reason to be critical of the hands off approach so many adults have to involvement with children and youth. So I’ll suck it up. And I will be proud to report in June that the parents of the children on my team will receive their money’s worth. Nothing less than a championship! Ole Ole Ole Ole!

3 comments:

Proffreezer said...

You know I was thinking to myself the other day that I really should post something on the Tim Hortons story, but I was too busy RRRRolling up the RRRim. Solomon wisdom - take the jaws of life and split the RAV4 into three equal parts. Now that should satisfy. Speaking of satisfy, I bought me some Kenyan coffee at 'Bucks yesterday, finally something better than MCC Bolivian garbage.

Teach said...

Good for you for coaching and good luck! You may however want to read my latest post on my blog about competition :), maybe you'll have some insights or maybe it will give you some, who knows?

Anonymous said...

I heard that the judge has now ordered DNA tests to determine who the cup belongs to. Pathetic!!