Saturday, February 24, 2007

how bigotry seeps in?

You've read some of my point of view on the subject of yoga.
Isn't actually hilarious that I would be posting about yoga? I mean close your eyes and think about me actually doing yoga. If you're at least not smiling - I am wondering if you know me at all...
Actually I have very little interest in yoga (still laughing?). But yoga has become little flash point for me due to concern that some has had for how the pominence of yoga is evidence of a larger problem of pluralism in culture and even in the church. I received a brief article (an exerpt for a larger book YOGA AND THE BODY OF CHRIST) by Dave Hunt that describes the dangers of yoga and how Christians should respond - or more precisely: why we should be afraid of the subtle intrusion of this demonic force into Christianity.
"Yoga opens the door not to true enlightenment but to demonic seduction of mankind. And...yoga is gaining adherents amoung Christians and being practiced in a number of churches, including those that claim to be evangelical."
The article is little more than excessive fear mongering which in itself presents a wider problem in addressing the issues of pluralism that are present in our culture. Unfortunately, this over anxious approach tends to obscure truth by inciting reaction in people's hearts instead of an honest investigation of truth.
But what is most disturbing to me is how the article itself sneaks a subtle bigotted remark into the work. Now this may seem insignificant to some and quivelling over words to others but in a time when words are more important than ever I think we need to pay attention.
The article warns that Yoga is actually mounting a spiritual assault on Western culture. Then this:
"Most Westerners find it difficult to think of these smiling, bowing, obsequious, and supposedly broadminded yogis, (etc.) as missionaries determined to spread their mystic gospel."
Did you notice? The word 'bowing'? Why would the author insert that word particularily? Is he trying to convey the concept of respect that these yogis have? Or is it a subtle reference to their ethnicity? The latter is what is disturbing? The term brings to mind instantly the common oriental practice of bowing in their greeting rituals. When one (me in particular) reads that phrase it immediately brings to mind ethno-oriented imagery. What's wrong with this? Aren' t most yogis of oriental background? Sure. But the image actually goes beyond trying to describe their ethnicity it is actually intended to draw out a particular reaction toward a broader ethnic group by linking this term with the implied intention to 'spread the gospel'. So the effect ends up producing something along the lines of: BEWARE of those orientals they will introduce this yoga stuff which will destroy your faith.
I know this seems like a big jump. One I am not altogether comfortable with. But the imagery and implications that come to mind for me are unmistakable. Perhaps it is an equally anxious over reaction - I am open to that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have Christian friends who do 'redeemed yoga' with Bible scriptures associated. I also know of PraiseMoves which is similar http://www.praisemoves.com/