Monday, January 22, 2007

The Examen of Conscience

St. Ignatius of Loyola was an interesting dude.
Inigo de Loyola was born in 1491 in Azpeitia in the Basque province of Guipuzcoa in northern Spain. He was the youngest of thirteen children. At the age of sixteen years he was sent to serve as a page to Juan Velazquez, the treasurer of the kingdom of Castile. As a member of the Velazquez household, he was frequently at court and developed a taste for all it presented, especially the ladies. (one source said he was addicted to the ladies – hmmm there is a euphemism you hardly hear anymore).He was much addicted to gambling, very contentious, and not above engaging in swordplay on occasion. Read more from this source
This guy was some kinda soldier until he got slashed in one leg and a cannon ball in the other. While he was recuperating he read about the life of Jesus. He changed his addictions…
Ignatius although not the originator of the Examen of Conscience was the one who adapted it for the Spiritual Exercises which the Jesuit order (which he founded) used/uses in their personal discipleship routine.
Now I’m not going to lie to you there are a lot of holes for me in these spiritual exercises that include a definite antagonism against Islam. But the Examen of Conscience itself does not bear these marks or tendencies and as reinvented over the years really focuses on becoming aware of our failings instead of ignoring them and hoping they will go away. As a spiritual discipline it could be a helpful exercise in developing humility and victory over habitual sin. It is something I want to use from time to time…

Here is a proven way to go about it:
First, I thank God our Lord for all God does in and for me and all humankind.

Second, I ask God to enlighten my mind to see my sins, and to help me live without
them.

Third, I ask myself what I have done. What have I said, or left unsaid? What have
I done, or left undone? I examine my day, perhaps with a little system by time
periods, or places, or some such method.

Fourth, I will identify anything that I do not approve of according to my own
conscience, and turn to God asking forgiveness.

Fifth, I will look forward and decide how I will act tomorrow, provided God gives
me that gift.

No comments: