Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hauerwas...

Call me a one track pony but here is part of the Door’s interview with Hauerwas:
Door: I’ve encountered some individuals who interpret your writing about the role of the Church to mean that Christians ought not involve themselves in politics or secular movements for social justice. Um, are we missing something?
Hauerwas: They’re missing something. I think that’s absolutely crazy. They have a long-schooled stereo type…that we represent a sectarian position, which means you must withdraw from the world. But the original Anabaptists didn’t withdraw from the world. They were forced to withdraw when the main stream said, “Hey, if you’re not willing to kill somebody, you’re not going to get to play in our game.” We want to participate in every way we think possible. If I’ve withdrawn, why the hell are you so mad at me?
Door: Um Mr. Hauerwas, this is a family magazine. OK, it’s a weird family, but nonetheless… A lot of us seem to prefer living in anxiety to trusting God. Your writing expresses a foundational trust in God. How can we practice trusting God?
Hauerwas: I’m not very good at this. I’ve never trusted my own subjectivity. What I try to do is put myself in positions where I don’t have any alternative but to trust God. I never trust my own ability to trust. I hope that others will keep me faithful to what I know is true, and as a result I’ll learn to trust in God.

No comments: