Monday, June 19, 2006

The new faces of 'worship' music...

Tom DeLonge, former Blink 182 vocalist, says, “We’re on a different intensity level with this record…” So I wonder if the leader of the new Angels and Airwaves has thought about creating some intense ‘worship’ music. I mean there might need to be a few minor adjustments in his character to get invited to the next Hillsong or Worship Together convention. He would have to lose his preoccupation for UFO’s and stop making as many jokes about the male reproductive organ but one thing he would not have to change much is his writing technique or content.
His latest ‘hit’ is getting a lot of public radio airplay. So check it out, here is a part of the first verse…

I wanna have the same last dream again
The one where I wake up and I'm alive
Just as the four walls close me within
My eyes are open up with pure sunlight
I'm the first to know
My dearest friends
Even if your hope has burned with time
Anything that is dead shall be re-grown
And your vicious pain, your warning sign
You will be fine

Hey oh here I am
And here we go
Life’s waiting to begin

The chorus is rich (even in it’s simplicity :o). Perfect for the next time you wanna drive home the theme of utter dependence on God, Jesus, or your girlfriend…

I can not live
I can’t breathe
Unless you do this with me.

What’s really wacky is how many times he repeats the chorus. Almost as many times as most 'worship' teams repeat the chorus to…

This is the air I breath…

And would you look at that some of the lyrics are so similar. I mean Tom, buddy, you should think about cranking out a couple 'worship' tunes. You could have a whole new career when you are done with this side project.
Oh yeah, and did anybody else notice that the melody for the chorus to Delonge’s song is almost identical to the melody that carries sway in that other ‘hit’ that George Handel wrote a few years back. Check it out. Sing the melody to “For Unto Us a Child is Born.” Then play Tom’s song and see if you can pick it out.
We could totally use somebody who writes great material like this. With lyrics that are distinctively in line with so much of mainstream 'worship' music and the ability to borrow from classical Christian melodies, why hasn’t Thank-you Music signed this guy yet?

No comments: