Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Bible


So okay about the Bible itself…
This is a statement I heard addressed to me…
“You spend too much time reading/talking about other books and not enough time reading/talking about the Bible.”
Actually, I confess that I have not, on a per volume basis, read as much of the Bible as I have of a numerous other books. But this is my testimony about the Bible…
-The Bible has ceased to be an almost magical thing that somehow transforms my life.
-The Bible has ceased to be a science project to codify or un-codify, analyze, or dissect in such a way as to somehow make it’s parts more important than the sum.
-The Bible has ceased to be my back up. Although this is hard for me to do, I am not interested in using (and often abusing) the Bible to prove my particular bias or perspective.
-The Bible has ceased to be good medicine. I’m tired of taking it in doses and ‘manageable’ portions. I am trying to learn to eat large portions at a time.
-The Bible has ceased to be a chia pet. I am convinced that just dishing the Bible to someone doesn’t necessarily save them or solve their problems. We can’t just simply give The Bible to people – add water and expect things to change. (I still think that people need the scriptures explained to them as best we can – Acts 8)
-The Bible has ceased to be a road map, rule book, instruction manual, or compass. Each of these pictures don’t do justice to the complexity of direction that the Bible gives us in how to lead a whole life.

The Bible remains for me…
-Bread. Stale or fresh, sourdough or store-bought-white - it provides nourishment for my soul in much the same way a staple like rice, potatoes or bread nourish my body.
-A love letter. It is precious like how love letters are full of innuendos, and provocative imagery, and stories to tell me about how my lover is. But most of all it makes me veritably shake with anticipation at the chance to see my lover again soon.
-A boot camp. Kicking me in the rear more often than not. Reminding me that I am not God but that He is. Highlighting my weakness and pushing me to excel beyond my expectation. Reminding me that this life is not focused on me but on other people.
-A treasure. It has come to me in it’s present form through the hard work of the failing hands of saints, prophet, and a few scondrels - dead and gone. It is a gift I hardly deserve and haven’t worked nearly hard enough to earn the right to look at let alone interpret. It is mysterious and complex. Like clues to a mystery, theology unravels as I humbly open my mind to the truth revealed.
-A book. Unique? Yes. Powerful? Yes. Important? The most important. But nevertheless it is a book! When it comes down to it – it is words on a page. I mean no disrespect. These words are different than most words because they are from so many different writers but they all talk about the same God in a consistent way. I don’t ever want to get caught up in the notion that the only way God can ‘really’ speak to me is through the words on the pages of the Bible. I think he can speak just as powerfully through the breeze on my back when I’m mowing the lawn as he can from any portion of the Scriptures. As such I don’t think it is my responsibility to defend the Bible. If the Bible is a communication from God – I don’t have to defend it – He does. Truth is its own defense. And truth is powerful to change and redeem.

I have spent more time this past year reading the Scriptures than I ever have before. And I should say the Bible has become far more meaningful and central to my life than it ever has been before. I am actually reading it for it's own sake not just to get another Bible Study outline from. Here are some of my favorite parts:
The whole book of James
The origin stories at the beginning of the Bible (Genesis)
The whole book of John.
I think the book of Hosea is interesting.
I love all the stories about David
Paul’s stuff is pretty good but I think he was at his best when he wrote Romans.

I hope you understand.

5 comments:

Teach said...

Wow! I commend you for your honesty!! I bet that wasn't easy to say. Many of your thoughts hit me and make me think about what the Bible is for me. I have struggled as of late to "get into" it and I just want to thank you for your post. I don't know what other people's reactions will be but I support you and say "good on ya mate!"

Some of my favorite stuff is similar to yours. I also like Revelations (not sure why but it captivates me) and Ecclesiastes.

Increasing... said...

thanks james
i like Rev. too but so many people have abused that book that I am kinda shy of mentioning it but...

Paul said...

Hey Dale, do you recieve the PASSPORT (briercrest newsletter/magazine)? It had a good article on the Bible... good points you make...I LIKE! by they way nice new blog skin, best one yet very clean and nice...keep this one!

Gil said...

Thanks for your honesty here Dale. I especially like the images of the chia pet contrasted with the boot camp.

Dan King said...

the bit about reading large chunks instead of little bits is something that I resonate with ...

I've been really taken lately with the post-exile (is that what you call them?) books ... ezra, nehemiah, zechariah, haggai, malachi ... reading them over and over ... just because ... cool.

::dan::
ps. no "package" yet here ...