Thursday, February 23, 2006
U.S. foreign policy?
I recieved this recently in an email... (maybe you did too)
Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan... what weneed now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.
Robin Williams' plan...(Hard to argue with this logic!)
I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a planfor peace. So, here's one plan:
1) The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in theiraffairs, past & present. We will promise never to "interfere" again.
2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting withGermany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. Wewould station troops at our borders. No more sneaking through holes inthe fence.
3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together andleave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainderwill be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or wherethey are. France would welcome them.
4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 dayvisits unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nationwould be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself,don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don'tneed any more cab drivers.
5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If theydon't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home, baby.
6) The US will make a strong effort to become self sufficient energywise. This will include developing non polluting sources of energy butwill require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. Thecaribou will have to cope for a while.
7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel fortheir oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.
8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, wewill not "interfere". They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds,rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides, most of what we give themgets "lost" or is taken by their army. The people who need it most getvery little, anyway.
9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an island some place. We don't need thespies and fair weather friends here. Besides, it would make a goodhomeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.
9b) Use the buildings as replacement for the twin towers.
10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no onecan call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. Now, ain't that a winner of aplan. "The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, yourtired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling,'You want a piece of me?"
Turns out that attributing this to Robin is completely unsubstantiated.
Seems to me, this "plan" was intended to demonstrate how an abdication of the U.S.'s foreign responsibilites would be very unfavorable for the world. And it is convenient to use a comedian to help couch this plan in humor. Interestingly enough there just happens to be some debate over whether a UAE based company should own parts of US ports currently owned by a British company. Story Link
Anyway, I guess we have to put up with the crappy foreign policy for while yet - it is kinda interesting that people try to use humor to cover up what is a disturbing idea of the world.