Sunday, November 5, 2006

shane claiborne

Just got out of the Shane Claiborne general session. I wept like I haven’t for long time not out of conviction so much as a deep personal sense of urgency to get on with following Christ into the deep places of faith.
This guy interned with Mother Theresa got a degree under Duffy and Tony at Eastern
Amazing
I really was not able to appreciate Vicky Beeching. I know many people were. She was the worship leader for this session and quite frankly I just felt like it was more of the spiritual musical gluttony that makes me barf. I left and ordered CD’s.
I sat in on Tony’s seminar. It was good. “How to become a red letter Christian”. He said that even though he considered himself an evangelical he was starting to label himself as a RLC. I really wanted to ask him the question that Gil and I have batted around for a while: isn’t taking on a new label just a form of escapism? I mean I have often wished that I could stop calling myself an evangelical because of the ramifications that this word brings in the public consciousness. Yet I wonder if there is something wrong disavowing something that is so ingrained in the identity of who I am or was…
Any thoughts…

3 comments:

Gil said...

Dale,
What is a red-letter Christian? I agree with the ambivalence toward the label 'evangelical' - a lot of baggage, especially with Rev Haggard's exploits. Any noise on that down there?

Paul said...

be an anabaptist...they are RLC

Increasing... said...

the way campolo described it was that there were a bunch of Xian leaders who were interested in walking away from the common publically held perspective that was held about the term evangelical. (namely that it congured up religious right wing political connections)
He said that the empahisis that this group of thinkers wanted to espouse was that all of scripture and life should be interpretted through the gospels and even more specifically though Christ himself.
I like that perspective - mostly - although i do think it raises some interesting questions about the specific accuracy and veracity of Jesus exact words. So they used a phrase coined by a Nashville Talk radio DJ who talked about not caring much for the Bible but that the stuff inthe red letters made alot of sense to him...