Monday, December 4, 2006

The Closest Book Meme

Saw this on YSMarkO’s blog who got it from here

The rules are:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest!

Alright I am surrounded by books on my cluttered desk at work here so I had to actual get very specific about this one.
I recently had a copy of A New Kind of Christian returned to me by someone who wanted to ‘evaluate’ Brian McLaren’s theology. So here goes:
“What are short-term mission trips but modern examples of the missionary journeys of Paul and his entourage, or of Celtic monks’ adventures? In a way, they are also like pilgrimages – journeys undertaken for a spiritual purpose.
What are small groups and one-to-one mentoring relationships but echoes of ancient training methods, before we slipped into the modern misconception that the best education takes place via theoretical monologue in sterile classrooms? Small groups and mentoring-filling with give-and-take, personal as well as intellectual interaction, formation as well as information – recall the old images of the apprentice training with his master or the disciples following Jesus throughout the land.”
Interesting little quote actually given some of the discussions that I have been following (like this one)
So now its your turn…

2 comments:

Jan said...

The rules are:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog, along with these instructions.

I don't have much for reading material around here other than text books but I did find this little number:

"Talk briefly about possible hazzards along the route and appropriate safety measures. Why not have everyone "buddy up" - an older youth with a younger one. All group members should know who the first aider is and where they can find a first aid kit. The kit should be easily identified and accessible. (Tip: Fanny pack first aid kits are great.)"

It from the Field Book for Canadian Scouting! Who wears a fanny pack these days anyway?

Anonymous said...

Jan - how dare you mock fanny packs! I wear one to work everyday I'm there. It holds my pens, cell phone, post-it notes. I'd be lost without my fanny pack. You should try it - you might like it