Wednesday, September 13, 2006

See if you can follow this:

First of all last night I watched V for Vendetta. I had finished reading this article on Brian McLaren that I was tipped off to by MarkO. This quote from that article stood out to me…
“McLaren, 50, offers an evangelical vision that emphasizes tolerance and social justice. He contends that people can follow Jesus’ way without becoming Christian. In the latest of his eight books, "The Secret Message of Jesus," which has sold 55,000 copies since its April release, he argues that Christians should be more concerned about creating a just "Kingdom of God" on earth than about getting into heaven.”
And then after watching the movie, an adapted screen play of a graphic novel, I was reminded to go and reread MarkO take on the similarities between the fear based tactics of the Nazi’s and the right wing agenda. This is a quote from his take…
“Here’s the thought that kept jumping in front of me, even when i tried, repeatedly, to dodge it: there are so many awkward similarities between the Nazi party’s tactics and the Christian religious right’s tactics in current-day America.”
Now a couple of things: a) the movie is good. It is graphically violent (no real nudity to speak of, but a few choice f-bombs thrown in) so it’s hard to recommend it but.... b) I think the movie makes a valuable point about how fear is the tool of evil and interestingly enough even though it is far from direct the movie reinforces the Biblical idea that love drives out fear.
So then this:
It is time that Christians lived without fear. In fact, it may be that the essence of the Christian experience is fearlessness. It’s time to stop being scared that homosexuals will ruin our marriages or those of our children. It’s time to stop being alarmed about easy access our teenagers have to drugs and sex. We need to stop being worried about terrorists blowing up our favorite GAP store. We especially need to stop being worried about questions. Questions about faith that challenge our conventional perspectives. Are we really interested in a set of doctrines or a theology that can not stand up to legitimate questions? (Does it seem strange to anyone else that the whole furor around the DaVinci Code seemed like such a challenge to so many faithful long time Christians?)
I think it is time that Christians ‘lay hold’ of the power of love – sing it Huey! (uhm sorry)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok the problem that I have is that I agree with you, and as soon as I do, some people think that I don't believe that homosexuality is wrong, or that I don't have good theology.

Increasing... said...

thanks for the honesty anonymous.
truth is people thought Jesus was scum because of who he hung around with. all I'm saying is that we rarely have full control over what people's perceptions are of us.
The other thing is most of us don't have good theology. Well that's kinda harsh but really the person who claims to have it all figured out is arrogant - straight up!
To me your comment shows me how strong fear really is for all of us. Whether it the way people are going to think of us or if we are just plain scared to go to hell - we are socked in by a great big mother cloud of fear.
But thanks for being honest!

Natasha said...

I think this is really sort of a "revolution" that needs to take place in the church and Christian realm. This very thing you described has been heavy on my heart as of late and I do wonder if God is beginning to whisper and unite people in this. Is relationship with Christ really about anything that we have made it to be about - "action wise"? I'm rethinking spiritual warfare too - it seems that maybe it's an act that we engage in simply by living. I mean, a joyful, fearless Christian would seem to threaten hell more than a tired servant, no? And all of these things relate back to fear - of what people think, of not pleasing God, of not pleasing the church, of demons, whatever it may be.

Sterling said...

Amen. One of the things that makes me agree on this point is how it will likely (and already is)cause(ing)a backlash from some Christians. I believe Jesus and the Disciples went through something like that. Anyone had to deal with a current day Pharisee lately?

Increasing... said...

I think you are on to something Sterling
It's too bad that we have to feel so threatened when we possess such a powerful force such a love.