Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Piracy

I watched a news story (watch the video in the sidebar) last night about a ring of media pirates who were copying movies (some that had not even yet been released on DVD) and were selling them. I guess this was a pretty big operation that the police took down but here is what was interesting to me. It was not a bad enough crime in itself – the police and copyright officials, had to talk about the potential for this type of operation to be used to launder money or help provide funds for organized crime. There was also the fear that it might cost Canadians jobs.
Let me play my violin!
Isn't it cool that PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN is one of the movies mentioned in this piece.
To be honest, I don’t have much sympathy for these large media conglomerates who (in my humble take) tend to formulize much artistic expression into far too predictable and ultimately meaningless movies and songs. And all the time making astounding profits. And I know that there are ‘struggling artists’ out there who, no doubt, are enraged by the thought of their hard work being copied illegally. So let’s call it what it is: piracy is a crime in our world.
Watching the news story you get the sense that everybody knows that, even when the officials complain that piracy steals billions of dollars away from their industry, there is little public sympathy for an industry that flaunts its lavish lifestyle so openly.
I guess its weird how my mind works but…
I started to wonder about faith piracy. You know how maybe piracy is an illustration of how Christianity is developing…
…I need to think about it some more but maybe you guys have some thoughts on that…

3 comments:

Sterling said...

I appreciate a scholarly mindset and all but sometimes when I hear preachers constantly quoting from the writings of others I have to wonder. Doesn't anyone have their own thoughts anymore or are they parroting (or pirating) others? Just a thought.

Trevor said...

Lately I have been thinking about people (often around College age) who say that their faith is now "becoming their own." Whose was it before? Were they "pirating" their parents faith?

Paul said...

Well Rovert, actually during cognitive development the new abilities to reason that an adolecsent develops, and the new levels of social awareness and moral judgement, move the youth from concrete operational stage, where what they understood and knew came from their parents or guardians. Now the world in adolescnese doesnt seem to make sense, since the world is not so self explanatory. So where their faith, wolrd view was one way it is now encountering healthy and unhealthy questioning, so the adolescent as he/she moves to adulthood must decide what is their stand (sort of speak) and in that concept they do make faith their own, and no longer their parents faith...Erikson calls this period 'psychosocial moratorium'